This rule was made and amended vide the following notifications
• Central Tax Notification No. 74/2018 (dated 31st December 2018)
(1) The period of audit to be conducted under sub-section (1) of section 65 shall be a financial year 1or part thereof or multiples thereof.
(2) Where it is decided to undertake the audit of a registered person in accordance with the provisions of section 65, the proper officer shall issue a notice in FORM GST ADT-01 in accordance with the provisions of sub-section (3) of the said section.
(3) The proper officer authorised to conduct audit of the records and the books of account of the registered person shall, with the assistance of the team of officers and officials accompanying him, verify the documents on the basis of which the books of account are maintained and the returns and statements furnished under the provisions of the Act and the rules made thereunder, the correctness of the turnover, exemptions and deductions claimed, the rate of tax applied in respect of the supply of goods or services or both, the input tax credit availed and utilised, refund claimed, and other relevant issues and record the observations in his audit notes.
(4) The proper officer may inform the registered person of the discrepancies noticed, if any, as observed in the audit and the said person may file his reply and the proper officer shall finalise the findings of the audit after due consideration of the reply furnished.
1 Inserted in Central Goods and Services Tax (Fourteenth Amendment) Rules, 2018, vide Notification No. 74/2018 Central Tax (dated 31st December 2018)