Notification No. 40/2021
Due date for GSTR 9 and 9C extended
- The deadline of GST Annual Returns ( GSTR-9 and GSTR-9C) for
the financial year 2020-21 extended
- To February 28th, 2022.
- The last date for filing these returns was to expire on 31-12-2021
Rule 36(4) amended w.e.f 1st January 2022
- Input tax credit can be availed only if
- The invoice is a part of GSTR 1 filed by the supplier.
- The invoice is present in GSTR 2B.
Rule 36(4) is applicable for any return filed after 31st December 2021.Many people have mistakenly concluded that its applicability starts from January GSTR 3B.
Revamped Search HSN Code Functionality
- ‘Search HSN’ functionality has been revamped by linking it with e-invoice database and Artificial Intelligence tools in the following ways:
The Search HSN Code functionality, has been enhanced, where the taxpayers can search the HSN code and the applicable Technical description through common parlance/trade description of the goods/ services as they are known in the Trade. It helps the taxpayers to search HSN Code by providing description/ part of a description.
- The facility is available at both pre-login and post-login. Taxpayers/users can access the same by the following navigation:
Home>Services>User services>Search HSN Code
Functionality- Changes made in Form GSTR-1/IFF
Allowing entry of suspended GSTINs as recipients in Form GSTR 1/IFF (B2B Tables)
The system used to return an error message if a supplier entered GSTIN of a suspended taxpayer in the B2B, B2BA, CDNR and CDNRA tables of Form GSTR-1/IFF. This validation has now been removed and the taxpayer would be able to enter a suspended GSTIN as a recipient of taxable supplies in respective tables of Form GSTR-1/IFF
My Masters facility in Form GSTR-1/IFF
Taxpayers can save details of their recipients and suppliers and the HSN of the commodities they deal in for the following two masters on the portal and in the offline tool:
- Product Master
- Supplier/Recipient Master
Implementation of Rule-59(6), as amended, on GST Portal – Filing of GSTR 3B
As per Notification No. 35/2021 – Central Tax dated 24th September 2021, clause (a) of the sub-rule (6) of Rule 59 of CGST Rules, 2017 was amended. By way of this amendment, for the words “for preceding two months”, the words “for the preceding month” were substituted with effect from 1st January 2022. This means that from 1st January 2022 onwards, if a monthly filer has not filed the GSTR-3B for the preceding month, then such taxpayer will not be allowed to file the GSTR-1 for the subsequent month, till the GSTR-3B for the preceding month is filed.
Illustration: A taxpayer has not filed the monthly GSTR-3B for November 2021. Now, the taxpayer tries to file GSTR-1 for December 2021 on 10th January 2022. The system will not allow filing of GSTR-1 for December 2021, and will allow filing of GSTR-1 for December 2021 only after the filing of GSTR-3B for November 2021.
Reporting of supplies notified under section 9(5) / 5(5) by E-commerce Operator in GSTR-3B
- As per the GST Council decision to notify “Restaurant Service” under section 9(5) of the CGST Act, 2017 along with other services notified earlier such as motor cabs, accommodation and housekeeping services wherein the tax on such supplies would be paid by electronic commerce operator if such supplies made through it, Notification No. 17/2021-Central Tax (Rate) and 17/2021-Integrated Tax (Rate) dated 18.11.2021 have been issued. Accordingly, the tax on supplies of restaurant service supplied through e-commerce operators, shall be paid by the e-commerce operator with effect from the 1st January, 2022.
- In light of the above, E-commerce operator and registered person would report taxable supplies notified under section 9(5) of CGST Act, 2017 and similar provisions in IGST/SGST/UTGST Act in the following manner.
|Table 3.1(a) of GSTR-3B|
|Table 3.1(c) along-with nil and exempted supply|
Functionality on GST Portal – Interest Calculator in GSTR-3B
- This functionality will facilitate & assist the taxpayers in doing self-assessment.
- This functionality will arrive at the system computed interest on the basis of the tax liability values declared by the taxpayers, along with the details about the period to which it pertains.
- The interest appliable, if any, will be computed after the filing of the said GSTR-3B and will be auto-populated in the Table-5.1 of the GSTR-3B of the next tax-period.
- The facility would be similar to the collection of Late fees for GSTR-3B, filed after the Due date, posted in the next period’s GSTR-3B.
- This functionality will inform the taxpayers about the manner of system computed interest for each tax-head and hence will assist the taxpayers in doing correct computation of interest for the tax liability of any past period declared in the GSTR-3B for the current tax period.