E-Way Bill registration is a simple process which a registered GST tax payer can perform to generate e-Way bills. Primarily the registered tax payers who have registered on e-Way bill portal can only generate e-Way bills.
E-Way Bill System Portal link - https://ewaybill.nic.in
E-Way bill portal is the one stop website for registration, generation and resources for e-Way bill.
Once on the portal, click ‘registration’ drop down menu and we can see the following options:
e-way bill registration - GST Tax payers (suppliers and recipients) can register
Enrolment for Transporters - Here unregistered transporters can get enrolled
Enrolment for citizens - Here the non-taxpaying stakeholders can register (currently this isn’t working on the website)
Note- Enrolment is done for unregistered stakeholders while registration can be done by GST registered businesses.
(1) E-way bill registration online for registered businesses The steps to register for e-way bill, for registered businesses are as follows:
1) Keep the GSTIN and Mobile No. registered with the GST portal ready
2) Log on to https://ewaybill.nic.in
3) Click on "e-Way Bill Registration"
4) Enter GSTIN number and click "Go"
5) Once the request is submitted, one will be redirected to an e-way bill registration form
6) In the form, "Applicant Name", "Trade Name", "Address" and "Mobile Number" will be auto-populated
7) Click on "Send OTP", in order to get the OTP on the registered mobile number. Once the OTP is received, enter the OTP on the system. Next, click on "Verify OTP", post which the OTP will be validated, and all the details will be verified on the e-way bill portal
8) Provide a User ID or User Name, in order to operate the newly created account on the e-way bill portal. Please note, that the username should include about 8 to 15 alphanumeric characters and can include special characters as well. Once a request for the same is submitted, the e-way bill portal will validate whether the given User ID or User Name exists or not
9) Once the User ID or User Name is approved by the e-way bill portal, provide a Password.
Please note, that the password will need to have a minimum of 8 characters, which could be alphanumeric and could also include special characters. Please note, that the Password will be case-sensitive
10) Once both User ID / User Name and Password are validated and approved, the final registration request is submitted. If there is any error, the system will pop up the appropriate error message. Else, if all is fine, the User ID / User Name along with the Password is created and registered with the e-way bill portal, thus completing the process of e-way bill registration for a registered tax payer.
(2) E-way bill registration online for unregistered transporters.
An unregistered taxpayer, will not have a GSTIN, using which one may register for e-way bill on the portal. Thus, they will need to use the alternative method of e-way bill registration i.e. using the business details.
The steps to register for e-way bill, for unregistered transporters are as follows:
1) Keep the business details ready
2) Log on to https://ewaybill.nic.in
3) Click on "Enrolment for Transporters"
4) On doing so, an e-way bill registration form will appear, which will have some compulsory fields (marked as *) and some non-compulsory fields. The form will ask for the following business details:
a. Select your State* (Select from a drop-down menu)
b. Legal Name* (Enter Name as per PAN)
c. Trade Name, if any
d. PAN* - After entering the PAN No., click the "Validate" button, post which one will be allowed to fill the other fields
e. Type of Enrolment* (Warehouse/Depot, Godown, Cold Storage OR Transport Services)
f. Constitution of Business* (Foreign Company, Partnership, Proprietorship, Public Limited, Private Limited, Unlimited OR Others)
g. Particulars of Principal Place of Business
i. Building No. / Flat No.*
ii. Floor No.*
iii. Name of the Premises / Building*
iv. Road / Street*
v.City / Town / Locality / Village*
vi. Taluka / Block*
viii. PIN Code*
h. Contact Information (the email address and mobile number will be used for authentication)
ii. Telephone Number with STD
iii. Fax Number with STD
i. Nature of Premises (Own, Leased, Rented, Consent, Shared OR Others)
j. Do you have Aadhar number of Proprietor or Main person of Company / Firm (Select "Yes" OR "No")
i.If "Yes" is selected, tick a box authorising the GSTN to obtain one's details from UIDAI for the purpose of verification
ii. Aadhar No* (Prop. or Main person of Company / Firm)
iii. Name*(As per Aadhar)
iv.Mobile No* (As per Aadhar) – Once Mobile No. is entered, click on the "Verify Detail & Send OTP" button, post which an OTP will be sent to the registered mobile number
v. Verify OTP Received from Aadhar* - Once the OTP is received and entered, click on the "Verify OTP" button, which will complete the Aadhar verification process
i. Address Proof (Click "Choose file" to browse and then click "Upload". There is no file format or file size specified, however either PDF or JPEG can be uploaded)
ii.ID Proof (Click "Choose file" to browse and then click "Upload". There is no file format or file size specified, however either PDF or JPEG can be uploaded)
l. Login Details
i. User Name*
m. Verification* – Here, tick a box, confirming that all the details provided are correct
n. Click "Save"
5) Once the form is submitted, the e-way bill portal will generate a 15 digit Transporter ID or TRANS ID, along with the user credentials, thus completing the process of e-way bill registration
6) Now the transporter can provide this 15 digit Transporter ID to his clients, so that when they include that in the e-way bill, the transporter will be able to access the same on the e-way bill portal and enter the vehicle number, for the movement of the consignment.
To know more about e-Way bills please check the following article - Electronic Way Bill in GST Aricle
To know about methods of generating e-Way bills please check - E-Way Bill Generation Article
To generate e-way bill using the sms method please check the tool - E-Way Bill Create tool